Sunday, November 23, 2008

fruitcake...love it or hate it?

It's almost that time again...time to think about making fruitcake for Christmas. Don't wrinkle up your nose and make that face. Awww, you gotta give it a chance, first, before you say you hate it. C'mon. It's delicious! Well, maybe it's an acquired taste, but you'll never know until you try it.

Last year, my honey, Mugs, and I got together at our house one weekend, and we made a whole bunch of little loaves of fruitcake. (Did you notice how purposefully vague that number was? I was going to say 28, and then I thought, wait. Was it only 14? I don't know. So...a whole bunch.)

But it was sooo good! We have one little loaf left in the freezer, double wrapped and baggied. I might have to break it out this weekend.

But it takes a whole month to make and ripen it. You bake it, and then you baste it twice a week or so with a mixture of orange juice and brandy, for four weeks. Then. You can have a piece or three, with a fresh cup of coffee. It's quite addicting.

But if you don't want to wait a whole month, you could just go to Wuollet's and buy yourself one. Theirs are the best we have found, and it's a seasonal thing. For which my children are probably very grateful, because they are rolling their eyes right along with those of you who hate fruitcake.

Ooh, and while you're there at Wuollet's, pick up some pulla and one of their Old English Plum Puddings. Simply. the. best. I'm getting hungrier by the minute.

So how about you? Are you a fruitcake fan or would you rather use it for a doorstop?

5 comments:

karen said...

Well, after reading this post, maybe I've never had GOOD fruitcake because I have to cast my vote for, "I hate fruitcake." But the way you describe it - sounds pretty tempting to give it another try. We probably always received "regifted" fruitcakes that had long expired. My mother would never regift, so fruitbricks piled up only to be opened during a dismal game of "truth or dare" during a long ice storm w/no electricity ... :)

Faith said...

I'll eat it but I'm not a huge fan of it. Can't believe Christmas is right around the corner already, time flies! Thanks for the CD!! Have a great Thanksgiving, I plan on pigging out, yum yum!!

katemcdonald said...

sorry, not a fan

Crazy Daisy said...

Not a fruitcake fan.

daisy said...

Oh, you guys! It's like a spice cake batter, and then you mix in raisins, dates, pecans, and a bunch of different kinds of candied fruit--cherries, pineapple, and orange peel, and citron. There's about enough batter to hold all the goodies together, and that's it.

It's moist, and flavorful...mmm, mmm, mmm!