Sunday, December 21, 2008

review of 'the voice'

I've been reading The Voice - a retelling of the New Testament.

My take on it is that it is extremely readable, and what I find particularly helpful is that footnotes are inserted in text boxes throughout the text, rather than all being at the bottom. That way you don't have to jump your eyes back and forth...it's easier to just keep going without losing your place.

It's written much like a screenplay, where dialog is clearly indicated. It has the feel of a fine work of art, and that, I think, is due to the fact that it is a collaboration between scholars, pastors, writers, musicians, poets, and other artists. It completely draws me in, and I find myself learning much more about the context and background of each book. It has a very personal flavor, and I love that.

Here's a quote from the introduction to the book that I think sums it up nicely: "The Voice is a collage of compelling narratives, poetry, song, truth, and wisdom, ...[and]...will call you to enter into the whole story of God with your heart, soul, and mind."

I'm so glad they gave me an extra copy so I could give one away and keep one for myself! I might have had a tough time giving this one up very soon.



So, here's the deal. Leave a comment, get a chance at a copy of this for yourself. I'll draw a random number at the end of the week. Think of it as a belated Christmas present. Christmas will be over, and you'll be getting a little extra sompin' in the mail from me! I have the extra copy sitting here, not lost in the black hole, not put in a "safe place" (so safe I can't even find it)...just sitting here, waiting to go to your house! Make sure I have a way to contact you.

You're going to love this. Good luck!

2 comments:

karen said...

What a great giveaway! Just stopping by during a coffee break -but don't enter me in your drawing because you give to us so much already. We still read your hope notes to Jordan ... beautiful, inspiring words. Have an awesome Monday, Daisy!

Faith said...

I'd love to have that, enter me in!! Have a Merry Christmas!