Monday, December 8, 2008

school holiday concerts

I found myself at a high school holiday concert tonight, and none of my kids were even in it! I'm not quite sure how I got myself into that, except that E-girl was supposed to help at it, and I just stayed there instead of dropping her off. Not that I saw her at all the whole night...miss social butterfly herself. She had Dee curl her hair before we went. And what a nice job she did on it! E's growing up too darn fast.

Have you been to one (some) of those concerts? You know what I'm talking about, then. But you have to go and be supportive. You go to hear your kids, but you have to be polite and stay and listen to two hundred other people's kids, too, and it takes foreeeeeeevvvvveeeeeerrrr.

The highlight of the whole night for me? The drumline. The band teacher is quite creative. The principal had been requesting a drumline all year. There was only one problem. There was no money in the budget for drums. Did she let that slow her down? Not in the least.

They used galvanized metal garbage cans, and it was simply fabulous! They were great! And just for fun, they used...balloons! You had to be there.

And the theater group put on a one-act play: Rapunzel Uncut. It could have been entertaining, had it not been for the fat jokes that pretty much took the fun out of it for me.

As for the rest of the concert, well, let me just put it this way. It was like many Christmas concerts I have attended. It was about two hours long, so by the time we could stand up and move around, my tailbone had become one with the chair. I wasn't sure if my legs were going to hold me up, because they had fallen asleep, the lucky dogs.

The students were talented, they sang beautiful Christmas songs, but they were too quiet and I only slept about four hours last night. 'Nuff said.

1 comment:

karen said...

you earned your medal of honor for attending! it prepares parents for the ultimate challenge -- a commencement ceremony. there were 900 in jordan's graduating class. as in nine hundred. our moment of joy - a few fleeting seconds. ceremony - 4.5 hours. getting out alive - priceless. :)