Saturday, January 17, 2009

do we ever get tired of talking about the weather?

It was FIFTY degrees warmer today than it was yesterday morning!! Minus 35 yesterday, and fifteen above today. (That's fifty, right? A math genius I am not.) That is amazing to me. Even if I do live in Minnesota where odd weather things happen all the time.

Do you know what I miss most around this time of year? My garden! I'm having serious greenery deprivation. I think the cure for that might be the Como Park Conservatory. Going there is like a short tropical vacation. Every once in a while, my honey and I will make a day of it.

We take our cameras, go early to the conservatory while it's somewhat quiet, and spend some time soaking in the warmth. We go have lunch someplace we haven't been before, and maybe go for a little scenic drive.

It's so funny, because when I think back, I remember my mom and dad going for a drive in the mountains for something to do. I thought they were crazy to just to drive and look at the scenery. They could stay at home and look out the window, I thought, and then I could just skip right over the carsickness I got from the winding roads.

Now, I understand! Sometimes you have to take a little trip out of the everyday and just revel in beauty. How refreshing. But if I think about it, I'm about the age my mom was when I was old enough to remember. I thought her life was a little on the boring side. But now I've come full circle, because I love that kind of thing. And my kids, I'm sure, think it's just a little lame! Too funny.

Sometimes, though, you just have to savor the everday, too. Like today, for example, our little trip is going to be to the grocery store for our two weeks worth of food and supplies. It'll take us a few hours, I'm sure, because when we go together, we are putsy. We take our time and look at what's there, we talk about recipes we want to try--we're both Food Network junkies--and we try to stay under our budget.

This week, we're throwing in a few recipes from Paula Deen's Quick and Easy Meals magazine. How about spinach and turkey stuffed shells? Or a new recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup, with a side of grilled cheese sandwiches? And then a couple of standby favorites like homemade chicken and dumplings and pasty? It's going to be a good two weeks.

Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

Thanks for the cute comment on my cooking skills. I rock at microwaving. I should take out our oven and put in another microwave.
Your post was a good reminder to savor the everyday= even when we are cold (freezing, artic...)

Crazy Daisy said...

I LOVE and truly cherish the mini vacations, and the conservatory is perfect! Have you been there during the orchid show? If not, you should check it out! I cannot keep and orchid a live to save my life. However I delight in being able to get my fill of this lovely flower during each show! :)