Monday, January 19, 2009

my gee girl

I'm home today, and getting paid, thank you very much. One benefit of working for the state! I appreciate the holiday AND its reason, but I'm doing mundane things at home to celebrate.

Like I'm making Karen's dragon snap cookies. Those little puppies are so addicting. I'm giving you a friendly warning, in case you want to try them yourself. I'd send you over to her blog for the recipe, but it's down for reconstruction. So I'll post it for you in case you didn't get it before. These are sooooooo GOOD!

In fact Gail wanted some to take back to her dorm with her. But she left yesterday. She's coming back this way for a short time today for a birthday party, so I'm trying to tempt her to come home--with dragon snaps! She loves them, too.

So just for fun, here's what I told her.

me (11:28 AM): guess what I'm making! hint: they have molasses in them!

gail (11:34 AM): YUM

me (11:34 AM): if you stop over...you can take some with you :D

(I got no reply, so I got a little desperate and threw some bait out there for her)

me (11:39 AM): except the only problem is...I want to eat them as fast as I make them. help!

gail (11:44 AM): NO DON'T EAT THEM ALL

me (11:59 AM): lol. I'm trying to behave myself. They're such tasty little morsels, tho. I keep wavering. Yes! have another one. No! save some. yes! no! YES! NO!

gail (12:11 PM): Wow

me (12:12 PM): lol. just letting a little weirdness out. it builds up and you get too much inside. i feel much better now. can't wait to see you--rofl

She still hasn't answered me yet. Maybe I scared her off!! Ha! Well, if she doesn't show, I'll have her share of the dragon snaps for consolation.

Here are your directions for making delicious dragon snaps:

karen's dragon snaps

2 c flour
1 1/2 T ground ginger
2 t soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper *
1/8 t ground cayenne *
1 large egg
1/4 c molasses
3/4 c shortening
1 c + 2 T sugar

1/3 c sugar & cinnamon combined

* maximum suggested amount—and I definitely use the max. d

Combine all dry ingredients except sugar. Use mixer to blend in beaten egg and molasses. Then mix in shortening. I'm not a huge fan of shortening, but I use all vegetable shortening in these. It's what works best.

Then mix in sugar a little at a time.

Pat into a big ball in bowl and place on counter (no need to flour counter). Go over with a rolling pin a little to flatten and form into rectangle, then cut into cubes (between 3/4 and 1" cube).

Short note from daisy: I’m not so good at cutting straight lines, so I use a melon baller to scoop each cookie out of the bowl, and drop it into the cinnamon sugar mix. I get more evenly sized cookies.

Roll each cube into a ball, then roll in cinnamon sugar and place on cookie sheet. Place on center rack. Bake 7-8 minutes at preheated 330 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool just a bit, then move with spatula to counter. Cookies this small will burn easily. After baking, these will be around 2" wide. Depending on your oven, you may have to adjust time and temperature.

Delicious with coffee. Makes your home smell scrumptious. Store in tightly sealed container - these store very well.

Store them away quickly before you start eating them and suddenly realize they have all disappeared!

4 comments:

Crazy Daisy said...

Yummy! They sound terrific! I too am celebrating the day with random tasks. We are still not unpacked from our move. it is getting ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

oh Daisy, you are the best! I am so thrilled that you love the cookies ... and sorry the blog is down for awhile :(

My good buddy started a new job today at Red Lobster! It has been quite a flurry of activity around here this afternoon. He looked spiffy when I dropped him off a few minutes before 3:00. Prayers welcome ... lots. of. prayers. The first day is always hard. xoxo to you, Daisy!

-karen
theartofheart (at) cox (dot) net

Norah said...

Those cookies sound wonderful - like ginger snaps with a BITE! Hence, DRAGON snaps :-) cute..

I baked today too.. rhubarb and blueberry pies.. haven't baked for a few weeks and thought it would be nice on a very cold day...

Have a great evening!

daisymarie said...

cayenne? is that the dragon part? i'm going to make these as a surprise for nelson. his fav cookies are molasis cookies (my grandma's recipe).