Saturday, February 7, 2009

beginning to relax

We went to the hospital today to visit--it was so great. She looked right over at us when we walked in, and she knew who we were. That's a far cry from last week, when she just looked blankly around and didn't even focus on anything. She can't remember the last week, by the way. When we mention people who were there or things she said, she doesn't know what we're talking about.

From the first night we went to see her at the hospital, there's been this bubble of panic that kept threatening to rise up out of the back of my throat. I'm starting to get over that feeling. I don't have to swallow hard and breathe to keep from crying every time I think about her. I'm starting to not flinch every time the phone rings, and my dreams are quieting down. I think we might have gotten a reprieve.

I think they're going to do another ultrasound on her kidneys to see if they're starting to work again, and they're holding off on the spinal tap that they talked about doing to check for signs of stroke. Her speech is getting better and better, and although she can't grip things with her hands yet, the twitching seems to be gone completely.

She's been eating things like jello, peaches, the low-sugar version of Ensure, coffee, and cream of wheat. So good! Such little things that I'm so thankful for. Imagine. When do we take the time to be thankful that someone can eat hot cereal for breakfast? I guess it's when we realize what we could have lost.

My honey was teasing her a little, and he got what he wanted: she gave him "The Look" that said, I dare you to keep it up, and you'll see what you get. He asked her if she wanted a knuckle sandwich. It took a second, but she turned her head, looked at him, and said, plain as day, "I might be sick, but I can still handle you." It made both of us laugh. Such are the colors of our days.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, this is so good to hear. Life is so precious...so precious!

daisymarie said...

THis is good...gotta love when their humor comes back a bit!!!!