Monday, March 30, 2009

baking and bedtimes

I'm so very happy that I do not have to get up at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow. Because that's what I did today. I tried hard last night to go to bed early, but I couldn't sleep well. It was SO not a pleasant experience. I hope to not have to repeat it any time soon.

I could never be a baker--I would end up hating my job. And really, I love to bake, but only if it's later in the day, however.

Last night, I made these delicioso Pumpkin Chip Cupcakes that DeeDee found in a Taste of Home cookbook. They're so good you would never think they were healthy! But they have whole wheat flour in them, you use vegetable oil, and they're sweetened with honey, not sugar. They do have milk chocolate chips in them, though.

Don't frown! Chocolate and pumpkin go great together, I found out!

Here ya go if you want to try them yourself, now that I've made you hungry!



Pumpkin Chip Cupcakes

1 cup flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup canola oil
½ cup honey
1/3 cup water
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin, oil, honey and water. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in nuts and chips.

Fill 18 cupcake liners about ¾ of the way full.

Bake at 350° for 20 – 25 minutes.

Now you can put a cream cheese frosting on them if you want to, but I like them waaaay better with no icing at all. Obviously I swiped the picture from Taste of Home website cuz these have frosting. I did not frost mine. And even the health nuts at work ate them.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yummmmm. They look good. And they sound like they would be yummy. I am going to have to add this to my "need to try when I'm in a baking mood" list.

bethn said...

Wow! They look really yummy!
I love to bake too. And I agree with the later in the day idea. I"m trying to do more. Even bread, not in the bread machine.