Sunday, April 5, 2009

simple pleasures

Today was interesting. I'm going to keep it short because I'm sooo tired.

I got up early and went to Luvvy's house...she is my husband's ex. But we get along. In fact lately she's been coming over to our house a couple of times a week to learn how to use the computer.

My friend at work says, "You know, they do those classes for free at the public library." *wink wink*

"I know." I say. "But it's okay."

"No, really," she says. "They do those classes for free at the public library." She cracks me up.

But I digress. I'll let you roll that around in your mind as I tell you this.

I went to her house so we could go to this jewelry show. She makes jewelry. Nice stuff. Like with semi-precious stones, the names of which roll off her tongue like marshmallows into cocoa. And I look at her and say, "What??" Things like, rhodeochrosite. Or goldstone, or azurite, or opaline...fluorite, hematite...things that sound like they belong in the periodic table in chemistry class.

I like her stuff. She designs it so that the qualities of the stones are what you notice most. Like this fluorite bracelet.


Or this Mexican Crazy Lace agate set:

We're going to put them on Etsy very soon.

Anyway, we've been practicing getting along since the kids were small and she used to come up twice a week to have dinner with them. Now we scrapbook together. It's a funny world.

So back to the jewelry show. It's two huge rooms of nothing but tables and tables full of strings of beads and stones, mostly in bulk, but a few finished pieces that you could buy as well.

You could tell we were coming from two completely opposite perspectives. I was looking for a couple of stones to make a pair of earrings with. She's buying strings of beads and stones by the handful.

We walked around in there for almost four hours. I think maybe she was trying to kill me. LOL. I am sore and tired, and I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow. But it was amazing! Dealers come from everywhere to sell at these shows, and they're not open to the public. So it was kind of fun to see the other side of it.

After we were done there, I dragged myself out to the car and collapsed.

Then we went to Whole Foods and bought a few things.

I found some plain blackberry ice cream. No chocolate in it. Try looking for plain berry ice cream, other than strawberry. They always want to throw some kind of chocolate in with it. Leave the poor blackberry alone. It's fine all by itself!

I've been looking for blackberry ice cream since I moved away from Colorado. I used to go to Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors and I'd ALWAYS buy a cone of Oregon Blackberry ice cream. I'd sample a few other flavors, but I'd always get me some Oregon Blackberry. It was THAT good.

This stuff we found today was scrump.dilly.icious. I don't know if it was AS good as Baskin Robbins' version because it's probably been thirty years since I had it, but it was good. Organic Alden's ice cream. Mmmmm! A sweet punctuation mark to a fun day.

2 comments:

Sue said...

As you were talking about your time with your hubby's ex all I could think about was the characters on the Reba sitcom: Reba and her ex's new wife, Norma Jean -lol (sorry!)

Glad you had fun even though you were worn out ;-)

karen said...

Yeah, Reba ... you know they offer those classes at the library for free! You are one of a kind, Daisy ... in a good way. My sister and I plan for a whole year to go the the "bead expo" that comes to Tulsa every May/June. We used to go ga-ga, but now we are mostly professional browsers. I love the baubles in the photos. ... and you end the post with blackberry ice cream ... sweet. xo