Monday, May 18, 2009

baking with rhubarb--yummm!

Do you have a nice patch of rhubarb in your yard? Friends or neighbors give you rhubarb? I found a new recipe for a Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumb Pie, with a Skillet Crust. Sound good? Oh, boy oh boy, it is.

This is what I made yesterday without a single mishap! I love to bake. It's relaxing. Cooking, on the other hand, well, you probably know what I think about that. Just read yesterday's post.

But this rhubarb thing? Yes! I'll share the recipe. I got it out of my honey's cookbook Pie. Delicioso.

Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumb Pie in a Skillet Crust
For the Crust:


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:

Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; when it is melted, blend in the vanilla.

Turn off the heat and stir in the flour and sugar mixture; this may take some time, but be patient and keep stirring until you have a pan full of evenly mixed crumbles.

Transfer about two thirds of the crumbs to a 9-1/2 or 10-inch deep dish pie pan, and press them to the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Ingredients For the Filling:

1 1/2 pounds fresh rhubarb stalks (about 4 cups)
2 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries (1 quart)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 - 1/3 all purpose flour (if your rhubarb stalks are small, use the larger amount of flour–if they are large, they are drier, use the smaller amount of flour)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Method:

Mix together the filling ingredients and allow to stand for ten minutes.

When the oven is preheated, put the filling ingredients into the prepared bottom crust and level it carefully. Crumble the reserved crust mixture over the pie evenly, and press it down gently with your hand.

Place the pie in the center oven rack and bake for thirty minutes. Turn the pie 180 degress on the rack and turn the heat down to 325 degrees F. Close the oven and bake for another 40-50 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the juices bubble thickly up around the edges of the crust.

Remove from oven, and allow to cool at least two hours before serving.

I'd post a picture, but I already ate my piece, and I can't eat another one.

5 comments:

Becky K. said...

Mmmm Yummmm!

I love rhubarb. Warren's Mom has been baking pies and sharing them this year.

This recipe looks great!

Blessings each day said...

Thanks for sharing...this is the way to find the best recipes!

blessings,

marcy

daisy said...

I made it again tonight because the first one disappeared. This one's going to a potluck with me tomorrow.

This time I used a 16 oz container of frozen strawberries and just put a little more flour. Hope it turns out. :)

Sue said...

Sounds delish! My mom had quite a big rhubarb patch in our yard growing up. I rather miss it here in the big city :-(

daisymarie said...

Looks like a yummy recipe, but I won't try it. I made a strawberry rhubarb pie once...it looked good enough to be in a magazine. Unfortunately, I somehow only put in half the sugar that was required to make it edible. And then I served the beautiful pie to a visiting evangelist who never let me live it down...and used it as a sermon illustration on more than one occasion.