Sunday, June 14, 2009

feels like summer today

Today it finally feels like summer. It's about 82°, sunny, and the house is still. It reminds me of summer when I was a kid. I was the youngest, and my summer days were spent doing pretty much anything I wanted to, within reason. Well, anything I wanted to do that I could get to on my own. If I could walk or ride my bike there, I could generally just go.

We lived in Boulder, CO, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, so I could take a twenty-minute hike and be up in the mountains. It was awesome. I still miss the mountains.

This has been a fairly mild spring and summer so far in MN. It's the first day I've really wished the air conditioners were in. It still gets cool at night, though, so the house cools down. On the flip side, it is saving a ton of money in electric bills. The last few years by this time, the heat was unbearable. Of course, hot flashes don't help, either! They can make it feel like it's 90° when it's ten below outside. LOL.

Let's see...what else is happening? Erica just turned 17!! Unbelievable. I think she's way smarter than I was at 17. I was a little naive.

The kids are growing up and moving out at a record pace.

I've been thinking about weddings lately--we have three weddings within the next year and a half. I don't think I have this nest-emptying-out thing down very well yet.

When I was in the stage of having babies, I knew what to expect each time we were having another one. I knew the drill, and had it fairly down pat.

Now as they're going the other direction, there's less to do and more time to think about it. And I'm discovering that much of the meaning in my life is wrapped up in my children. That has been my life for the last thirty years.

I know it can't stay the same, and I don't think I'd want it to because I am too stinkin' tired to keep up that pace! But I don't know so much anymore what to expect as far as how I feel about it. It changes from day to day.

But I know there's going to be a balance. The ebb and the flow--they complement each other, balance each other out. When you empty things out of one part of your life, it leaves room for other things. I'm looking forward to what those things might be.

But right now, I just want to enjoy the day--what's left of it. A little cleaning, a little sorting, a little cooking on the grill--some burgers and hotdogs, and maybe updating the music on my iPod for next week at work. A lovely not-much-going-on Minnesota summer day.

2 comments:

karen said...

Sounds like a positively perfect Sunday. I bought a vacuum, ok? There. I said it. I visited Good Buddy. Finished some jewelry. Ate powdered doughnuts - I've been so good on my diet - but oh my these were soooo good. Now, I'm going to vacuum ;)

Have a happy Monday! xo

Sue said...

I don't know what it feels like having your nest empty out after being full, but I can relate to the whole figuring out your purpose with an empty nest thing. I'm sure God will show you what He plans for that extra time if you ask Him - ;-)