Tuesday, August 11, 2009

a cleanin' I will go, a cleanin' I will go...

Hi ho the derry-oh! A cleanin' I will go.

We have been existing in a state of desperate frenzy ever since we decided we would apply to be foster parents. A whirlwind of activity has been going on here! Clean this, repair that, put those away, install this, buy that...it's not simple to become licensed for foster care.

The state holds you to a high standard of safety and preparation, and I know it's because they could be liable if they placed the children in an unsafe environment. But there was just so much to do.

There is a family member whose children need to be in foster care, probably only temporarily. But if they are not placed with family, they could be permanently placed outside the family. My honey says you don't let that happen to family. You do what you have to do, and you take care of your own. Okay, honey.

He told me when we got married, that I better hang on to my hat, because it could be a wild ride. I never thought that this was what he meant, though! LOL.

On the bright side, however, I have sheetrock on my bathroom walls for the first time in, oh, almost twenty years! It's so beautiful. I cried.

It got torn apart when there was a water leak, and that's pretty much how it stayed. There were always other things more pressing, more of a priority, like...kids' shoes and clothes, groceries, school supplies...you know the drill. Even with one kid, that can get spendy. Times that by eleven, oh my.

But. We decided that if we were going to be living here much longer, we had to put some more money into it. So the rejuvenation project was started already when this other situation came about, so it's just being put into high gear. Well, as high as it can be when you consider all the factors. Most of the kids work full time. I work. My honey, disabled as he is, can do things in short bursts, but he gets frustrated because he can't work the way he used to before he became disabled. He has the knowledge, but not the same ability.

And, we may yet have Mugs living with us, which will be a joy! We had planned to invite her to move in here eventually, when a bedroom emptied out. It just got moved ahead due to changes in her living situation. It's just the logistics we have to think about and plan. We'll be back up to ten people in the house. I guess these four walls are taking in a deep breath once again. Oh! And Mugs comes with a dog.

You know, I thought this was going to be one of the quietest years yet, so I signed up for three classes this fall. The boys have all moved out. Gail will be in college full time again. Dee is working full time and X will probably be in daycare. Just imagine...one teenager and my honey and I.

All that I can keep thinking about is the old saying, "Man plans, God laughs!" I'm betting He has a big smile on his face right now, because He knows the outcome of this. He can see the big picture. The only view I have is what's right in front of my nose.

5 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I think it's so wonderful that you're doing that! :-)

I just noticed the "Jane Austen Ruined My Life" book inn your sidebar. I love Jane Austen, so the title made me laugh. I'll have to hop over to Amazon and check it out!

Nezzy said...

Bless your busy sweet heart!!! At least ya' don't have to worry about an empty nest for awhile. I will pray that the kin folks are placed in your abode. I can tell just by reading there's a whole lot'ta lovin'goin'on there. Have a great productive day!

Becky K. said...

Oh Daisy,

Catching up with you has made my life seem tranquil. Never thought that would happen!

Wow! I am so happy for you that some things are getting done around the house. In our case we "just live with things" until we are ready to move and then we hustle about and make everything "perfect". At least thats what we have always done and then moved every few years...because I love to move.

But, Warren says we aren't moving from here any time soon, so I am itching to just have it all gorgeous now. There is a roll of linoleum waiting in the garage for just the right moment to replace what is in the kitchen now.
Sigh...

Take care!

Becky K.

karen said...

I've been away too long ... my goodness, so much going on! What a wonderful act of kindness and love. I think your house (hotel?) doesn't mind a bit! Will stop by to catch up on more reading soon ... xo

Crazy Daisy said...

There is a lot going on for you! Hang in there. Remember there is always a greater plan :)