Friday, January 1, 2010

happy new year!!

I love a new year. The possibilities are endless. Fresh starts, clean sweeps with a new broom...all that jazz. Turn over a new leaf...I'm thinking about what new things I want to commit to this year.

In the meantime, it's the first day of the year! And here in frosty Minnesota, the year is coming in with a crash--did you hear the mercury? It fell and landed in a heap at the bottom of the thermometer. It's supposed to be twenty below tonight. It's already minus eleven degrees right now. And the wind chill warning said it is minus 25° to minus 35°. Yikes!

It's a perfect day to stay inside, which is what I did. All day. I've been working on "The Cookbook" -- a collection of our favorite recipes that we're putting together for the kids...the ones they always call us up and ask for. That was their Christmas present this year. Only the more I worked on it, the more things I thought of to put into it.

I just couldn't get it done by Christmas, so I'm still working on it. I wanted to put in little family stories, and now I thought of scanning old pictures of the kids and adding them in there, too. It sounds almost like a scrapbook, yes? I just can't get enough of it, I guess.

However, not only did I work on the cookbook, I also got the entire refrigerator cleaned out today. Old stuff thrown away, everything taken out and washed down...yes!! It feels so good to have that done. I open the fridge and look at everything sparkling back at me, and it's like the Calgon commercial...ahhh, take me away! It relaxes me and makes me smile. LOL. Yes, I am a dork, in case you hadn't figured that out. But it's okay. I like it.

I have one more thing to accomplish today. Fix Gee's sweatpants. She got them and the elastic on the waist was too tight, so I took it out. Now I have to put them back together with just the drawstring in the waist. Putsy stuff, so I've been putting it off.

And then, tomorrow, in the afternoon, I'm going to scrapbook my Christmas cards. You know how people always send cards that have pictures of their families on them, or they send snapshots of the kids? I like to make pages with them in a Christmas album. Christmas cards make me smile, too. I don't always get them sent out...in fact this year I didn't send any. It was too hectic with school and finals and everything. I just didn't get to it. Maybe next year. I'll plan ahead. But I'll have fun looking at the cards again.

Marge and I had fun with her cards, though. I took pictures of her and of her pets, Odie and Garfield. So I got to have my Christmas photo fun vicariously. Odie had a cute little Santa suit on, and we tied a red ribbon around Garfield's neck. Marge wore my honey's Santa hat. Here's how they turned out:



And I've been thinking...maybe...just maybe, I might start out the new year and commit to not procrastinating so much. Do you hear the commitment there? Maybe...I might...ha! Little steps, you know? We don't want to shock the system.

And then, I might try to figure out why Blogger changes the line spacing after I put a photo in. Grrr!

4 comments:

Becky K. said...

I love the idea of scrapbooking the Christmas cards. I hate to throw them away but never know what to do with them. Thanks!

Becky K.

bethn said...

I started scrapbooking the Christmas pictures a few years ago. I just hated to throw all the pictures of my friends kids growing up. It's so much fun to look back and see how they grow.

I have that same problem with blogger too. It drives me nuts!

Smellyann said...

Happy New Year, Daisy!

Nezzy said...

I just came in from spending 45min. outside gettin' in firewood and feeding critters in six degree weather. I'm dyin' here. I need a hot bath, fireplace and a hot cup of tea...now! I am in awe of how ya'll survive up there. I'm so not a winter kinda of gal.

So you have the battle of Blogger too? Have the best year filled with all the good stuff God has in store for you dear one!!! :o)