Friday, February 19, 2010

a long lost friend

I had an experience this week that was like no other. I reconnected with an old friend over the internet, someone I knew from childhood--my best friend when I was young. Wow! And as we chatted back and forth over email, the memories started coming back slowly, and then faster and faster.

I was happy and sad by turn, happy because I could tell him how important our friendship had been, and sad because I feel we've missed so much in between. We both moved away from my hometown, and it's been 35 years since we talked. There's so much we don't know about each other, now--the things he's been through, the things I've been through...so much to say.

And the little things we remembered--stuff about each others' houses, about the things we did together, and how much fun we had...it's like finding something valuable you didn't even know was gone. It's like a piece of a puzzle going into place, like a piece of me was missing, and now it's back in its rightful spot.

Cheers to you, Mike, and here's to many years of staying in touch, now!

I absolutely love the internet!! What a great way to go into a weekend.

2 comments:

Nezzy said...

It's just great that ya'll reconnected once again. What fun you two will have catchin' up.

God bless and enjoy your Saturday!!!

karen said...

Those are the best, unexpected joys. Made me think back about some of my childhood friends and wonder where/how they are now.

Happy for you! xo