Wednesday, February 24, 2010

so much like me it's scary

One morning recently I went in to wake up Erica before I left for work. “Erica,” I said. “It’s time to get up. I have to go to work, and your ride is going to be coming to get you soon. You need to get up. Do you have everything you need for school today?”

She sits up, stretching and yawning. “No,” she says.

“Well, what do you need?” I ask.

“That is just not nice,” she says. “Not nice at all.”

“What?? What are you talking about?” I ask.

“That is just not nice!” She’s shaking her head and looking around.

“What did I say that wasn’t nice? I said it’s time to get up, that your ride would be coming, and I asked you if you have everything you need.”

“Oh." She thinks for a minute. "That’s right,” she says. And she turns over and pulls her covers back up to her chin. The next minute, she's out like a light.

I did things like that to my dad SO many times.

Dad, now I understand that long-suffering look on your face. And all that time, I thought you were just coming in my room to bug me. I WAS kind of a jerk to you, wasn't I? And you were so patient with me. I'm so sorry! :(

2 comments:

Becky K. said...

There is nothing like being a parent to understand our parents.

That is cute.

Becky K.

Nezzy said...

Yep, ya just gotta be a parent to understand. My gal would constantly tell me I was waaaay to happy in the mornings. Heeeheehe! I'm just that kinda gal.

God bless and have a glorious day!!!