Saturday, March 6, 2010

saturday happenin's

It's been kind of a blah day. I didn't sleep in very late because I had to go pick up Erica from her friends' house. Now she's gone again. She's 17. I guess she thinks she has a life of her own or something.

Gail was home from the dorm for a couple of days, but she had to go back today, so it's getting pretty quiet on the home front. The rest of the kids are out celebrating Mel's birthday. She's a quarter of a century old...just a little spring chickadee compared to me. Half a century is a LOT older. Twice as old. But guess what! I don't feel old at all. That's wonderful.

Let's see...what else did we do today? My honey made pork steaks on the grill--delicious as always. And now, I have dishes to do and a counter or two to clean off. I've been cleaning the kitchen cupboards out. It's getting to the point where I can't fit the things in there that I use all the time, but the stuff that is in there never gets used. So it's time to purge some stuff out and make a donation run.

I just don't need all that stuff, you know? I try to look at it all and just think...what would I want out of all this if I were furnishing a new kitchen in a new home for myself, and what would I want to get rid of if I knew someone else could use it and would appreciate it.

I also have Other People's Stuff. Better not donate that disposable dish or pan you still have because so-and-so left it here at the last potluck. They would be mad if I got rid of their stuff. I'm afraid that as soon as I screw up my courage to ditch the thing, they'll come looking for it. So it sits there...I guess until the statute of limitations runs out. If they leave it here for a year, they lose all rights. Don't you think? 'Specially if I forget whose it is.

I'm not very good at delivering stuff to people like that. I get sidetracked long before I gather it all together to go make a run. It gets scattered all over the house and before you know it, it's buried deep in some closet, along with the good intentions I had for delivering it.

Tupperware is a big hook for me. I find it very difficult to part with ANY Tupperware. Not even a little scoop, or a little bowl with no cover. Because of having sold it (many moons ago), I appreciate the "value" of it. But if it's taking up real estate in my cupboard and I'm not using it, there's really not much value there, is there?

Or how about other random disposable storage containers. All different sizes and shapes and covers who knows where? Why, oh why do I save them and put myself through the wild goose cover chase?

And then there are some things that I still have because either I always wanted them (even if I never use them), or I'm afraid if I gave them up, other people would snatch them up and think they got a deal, and then I'd feel like I missed a good opportunity to have something valuable. Is that crazy or what?

I just need a big "undecided" box to put this stuff into, and the box magically empties itself into the garbage dumpster. No indecision, no worry. No guilt, no clutter. Just drop and go, blissfully oblivious.

Yeah, right. :)

3 comments:

Becky K. said...

Yep! Me too....If you can figure out how to do this you could sell it and become a billionaire.

Becky K.

Nezzy said...

I have often overheard Hubby tellin' someone, don't lay it down around Nezzy or she'll get rid of it. If it's not used within two years I figure we don't need it. For everything I buy I get rid of at least one item. I'm just sorta freaky that way! Heeeheeehe1

Have a great Sunday and may God bless it!!!

karen said...

You need a recycle bin like on the computer - then you can restore or permanently delete! ha!

I know what you mean about tupperware! (I'm typing now and the puppy is chewing on a button on a back pocket of my jeans ... random tidbit from life.)

need to catch up on your posts! xo