Wednesday, March 10, 2010

a tribute to Hero's Tribute

Wowza! What a great book.

I'm talking about Hero's Tribute, by Graham Garrison. This is not the usual type of book that I would read, because it first struck me as either a war story or a rah-rah patriotic type of book. Not that those are bad. I just usually choose to read other things.

But the plotline intrigued me. Why would anyone want to get a complete stranger to write their eulogy, and specifically ask them to dig deep to find everything, to tell an unbiased story. I would want people to think the best of me, and to remember the good things about me. I would NOT go out of my way to ask them to dig the skeletons out of my closet, that's for sure.

But Michael Gavin is not an ordinary man. Well, he is, but he isn't.

The first Wes Watkins heard of Michael Gavin, local hero, was after Gavin had passed away from a tenacious case of cancer. Wes was a small town reporter, and when he received the request written by a dying Gavin asking Wes to write Gavin's eulogy, he was baffled.

This turned out to be one of those books that kept romancing me the whole time I was reading it. I kept thinking about it. I carried it in the car with me, as I often do when I want to finish a book. I read at stoplights. I read for a couple of minutes after I park the car. I read when I'm waiting for Erica to be done at practice...you get the gist.

Usually I have one eye on the light as I read, waiting for it to change, but I got so engrossed in the story that the person in the car behind me had to honk at least a few times before I realized the turn light was green! And I wasn't the first car in line. Yikes. I may have to rethink this reading at stoplights. LOL.

I'm not going to tell you what Wes found out, but I will tell you that warts and all, I think I would have liked Michael Gavin. And I think you'll like him, too. But the best part of the story was the puzzle of getting to know him through Wes's investigative endeavors.

I can hardly wait for the next Graham Garrison novel. I hope he has many more stories to share. If you're interested in reading more about Garrison and his writing, just click here to go to his site.

3 comments:

Becky K. said...

This sounds like a great book club choice. But then, our Book Club isn't meeting anymore so I'll just have to read it on my own.

Becky K.

daisymarie said...

I'm ready to head to the library and check this one out! Great review.

Nezzy said...

This book sounds very intriguing. I'm gonna pop over and check out Graham Garrison out. Thanks for the heads up.

Now about you holdin' up traffic....Heeeeheehe....cracked me up!

Have a beautiful day!!!