Thursday, June 10, 2010

another great must-read


Camille Weller has arrived as the first African-American attending in the trauma service of the Medical College of Virginia. Never mind that the locker rooms are labeled "doctors" and "nurses" rather than "men" and "women" or that her dark skin communicates "incapable" to many of her white male colleagues in the OR. Camille has battled prejudices her entire career, but those battles were small spats compared to what she faces now.

When a colleague discovers a lump in her breast, she believes Dr. Camille Weller is the best doctor for her. Together, they decide on a course of treatment that bucks the established medical system, keeping Camille firmly in the crosshairs of male surgeons already riddled with skepticism and suspicion.

Her success as a surgeon is jeopardized further when dark whispers from her childhood in Africa plague Camille's thoughts. Bewildering panic attacks instill fear in a surgeon bent on maintaining the control, pace, and direction of her own life. Unable to shake the flashes of memory, Camille is forced to face a past she has not acknowledged since the death of her father on an African mission field. Who was he? Who was she? And why would either of those answers affect her present? (excerpt from back cover).

My Thoughts:

The cover first caught my eye, and I realized as I read the book, that the cover image is a metaphor for Camille's experience. She is silenced. She's trying to prove herself in a world that is out of her element, but she is not heard or seen for who she really is or what she can do. She has to prove herself in every way possible. Added on top of this layer of the story is her own personal journey back to her childhood, to try to figure out what the meaning is of her vaguely sinister snippets of memories that keep popping up.

This book kept me turning the page, trying to guess what was going to happen next. I never quite got it right, and finally, I had to peek. I had to. Hold your tomatoes...I finished the book, and it was still a good story. I just couldn't stand the suspense. My dad used to always say he started in the middle of the book and read both ways. Maybe it's a family tradition. LOL. I don't watch movies the "right" way, either...I walk out of the room if it gets too suspenseful, and come back when I can handle it again. It's the little kid in me.

But the big kid in me loves this book! Thanks to Glass Road PR for providing the book. I'm already re-gifting it. I've loaned it out to a fellow reader. It's too good to sit on the shelf. I gotta keep it moving. :) Cheers for a great book.

No comments: