Monday, June 7, 2010

a cautionary tale

Rain, wooden steps, and old Crocs don't mix very well. I'm just sayin'.

The other day I let our little Augie doggie out the side door to do his thing, you know, and after a few minutes, I went and checked on him. When he's not moving too well, he'll sit at the bottom of the little porch we have on the side of the house where the fenced-in area is, and he'll wait for me to carry him up the stairs. When he's feeling spry, he'll climb up the steps himself.

So on this rainy day, after I let him out, I went to look for him. There he was, waiting at the bottom of the steps. I went out to get him. Now the steps are a little weathered, and when it's rainy, they get a little slick. Just a little. And when I wear my Crocs long enough, they get pretty smooth on the bottom. When they get wet, they get a little slick, too.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you know where this is going, but I'll tell ya anyway.

I did okay on the deck, and on the first two steps. On the third step down, I was thinking it was going okay, and the next thing I knew, whoop! My foot slipped on that last darn step and down I went. My backside hit first and then my back.

So the first thing through my head...what did I break? I moved a little...nope, I'm good. Then I realized I had my white capris on. Formerly white capris, I should say. I was afraid to look. They had green and black streaks from the bottom to the top. Grrr. I should never wear white.

So amid moaning and groaning, and maybe a curse word or two, I gingerly turned over so I could crawl up the stairs. I know, I know. Pathetic, but I didn't want to stand up. I was too sore. Augie doggie was standing there looking at me with this quizzical look, and then he just clambered up the stairs like nobody's business! Seriously! He couldn't have climbed up just a little sooner?

All I have to say is it's a good thing I have all that padding. I didn't break a thing! I have a huge purplish bruise for a battle scar, and I injured my pride and dignity a little, but hey! That mends pretty quickly.

The moral of my story? That's the best part: don't wear old Crocs. Buy new ones!!!

1 comment:

Becky K. said...

The last time I fell it was about our dogs too. Whoosh! On a hill! Down so fast there was nothing I could do.

Glad you weren't hurt badly.

Becky K.