Monday, June 14, 2010

it's a sign! or is it???

Oh. my. goodness. What a weekend.

So Friday stunk. Let's just say that first. I already covered that...

Saturday morning I was supposed to be getting ready to go scrapbooking. Our good friends came over with a cute little concrete plaque that says, "Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts" because they heard about our Augie Doggie. I cried, of course.

And then when we were conversating, she says, "So, there was this ad on the bulletin board at the grocery store for a mini dachshund, free to a good home."

"Shut. Up." I told her. That was where we got Augie from--an ad on that same bulletin board. Twelve years ago. My mind went flying and I clamped down with a firm grip. NO NEW PETS, remember? Oh, yeah. We chatted some more and they left.

I got my stuff together and packed, and headed out to a grad party before I went to the scrapping thing. You know, that grocery store is right on the way to the scrapping place...did I stop to look at the ad? Well, my excuse was that I needed to pick up a couple of things for the potluck there, but yes I did. The whole time, I'm just thinking, I should whack myself in the forehead--remember the vow! Remember the vow! No new pets.

And I looked at that ad, wrote down the number and called to see if he was still available. Why, why do I do that??? Arghh!

Well, he was still there, but I said I had to talk to my husband first.

I'm kicking myself all the way to the scrap place. Why??

My honey calls me when I'm there. "Did you just get there? What took you so long?"

"Well," I said, "I stopped at the grocery store to get a few things."

"What store?" he says. I told him. And he said, "Oh. Did you look at that ad?"

Sheepishly, "Yeaaahhh."

"He's kinda cute, isn't he?" he chuckles.

"WHAAAAAAT??!?" I almost dropped the phone. "You went and looked at it, too?"

"Yeah," he says. "I called them to see if he's still there, but no one answered."

It was my turn to chuckle. I waited until I couldn't stand it. "He is available. I called them, too! But they are going to be gone tonight."

The next day we called them, set up a time and went to see him. He hated us. He wouldn't stop barking at us for about fifteen or twenty minutes.

But I just kept thinking about how many things were talking to me. Were they coincidences? The ad was at the same store, in the same spot on the same bulletin board, and they said they were getting rid of him for the same reason--they want to get a bigger dog. Our friend saw that ad the day after we lost our best little buddy, and she told us about it. A dachshund. Crazy. A sign? Or a test? We weren't sure.

But an hour later, we walked out of there--WITH a new dog. WHAT JUST HAPPENED??!! I think the shock from Friday may have affected our brains and common sense.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I'm going to try to enjoy the ride.

He doesn't really answer to his name, so we might change it. I am going to put a little poll on the sidebar and you can put in your two cents worth if you want, just for fun. :)

Oh, and he only likes the girls. I think he still hates us. He whined ALL NIGHT because we wouldn't let him go in and sleep with the girls. What is that?? I got NO SLEEP. Zero. Zip. Nada. I finally gave up and got up and cleaned the kitchen in the middle of the night. I wasn't getting any sleep anyway, but now my signal's fading fast, folks. I need a recharge desperately. Like having a new baby in the house or something. Gak! Thanks heavens my honey is making dinner.

Here is a picture of him. He's a short haired red brindle. He has a reddish coat with the black stripey looking markings. He is half the size of the cats! LOL. I am a sap.

3 comments:

daisymarie said...

He's adorable!

Nezzy said...

Awwwww, I want to hug him!!! What a sweetie!

I'm tryin' to check in with some of my beautiful blogsisters. I've been sick and fighting shingles for over two month and have been ordered to do nothing so I can heal up....but I miss ya'll!

Take care and have a beautifully blessed day sweetie!

Becky K. said...

I love that you both checked the bulletin board. It was meant to be.
He is sweet.

Becky K.