Thursday, October 20, 2011

frost on the pumpkin

It was just the other morning, it seems, when the first shades of green were showing in the grass, and the leaves were popping out with gusto everywhere. Spring wears a certain intense green, and it's one of my favorite colors.

I think I only blinked, and here all those lovely leaves are mostly crinkled up on the ground already. And this morning, they are dressed up in a crisp sugar-shell coating of frost, a prelude of the season to come. Brrr! It sends shivers up my spine just thinking of it.




It's so ironic that fall is my favorite season, since I know full well that it means winter is just around the corner. I do not enjoy winter much, unless I don't have to go outside. Then I can enjoy it through the window with a nice cup of hot cocoa, wearing my favorite slippers. Otherwise, I stiffen my back and clench my teeth against the cold, holding my breath until spring arrives again.

But why ruin a beautiful fall day thinking about winter? Just for today, I'll soak up the sunshine and enjoy watching the fat robins as they search for the last bits of food before they leave for the season. I'll have pumpkin pie for breakfast, made last night from a fresh sugar pumpkin my son picked out at the pumpkin patch. Aaah, fall, how I love you!

1 comment:

daisymarie said...

We must have blinked together. I, too, love the green of spring, and I have spent many teeth clenched winters, but I have never had pumpkin pie for breakfast. :)

It's very cold and wet here. As I waited in line at DQ it even looked like a few of the drops hitting my windshield were solid and white. Sigh.