Thursday, January 12, 2012

field trip finds



Last Friday we did one of my favorite things to do. We went to Barnes & Noble on the way home from work. My hubby received a B&N gift card for Christmas from one of the kids, and wanted to go see what he could find.

I picked up the most awesome book to look at. It's called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp...she is such a talented writer.  I have often read her blog over at a holy experience, and I always leave there inspired, thinking about the ways I can slow down and simplify, and just appreciate all the little moments that connect together to create each new day instead of rushing through them to get to the next thing I have to check off my to-do list.

Have yourself some tissue handy to blow your nose if you are going to read this.  It's not sappy, it's just that real and that intense and that deep.  I'm not going to say more than that, because she writes it so much better than I could paraphrase it.  I think her writing makes me slow down, slow down to soak in her words and her thoughts, slow down to breathe and to appreciate.

I didn't even know she had a book out until I picked that up at the bookstore.  You can read the first chapter here, right on your computer screen where no one can see you cry.  Be warned.  You will want more!

It makes me want to write more.  Writing pulls things out of me that I didn't even know were there.  Does it do that to you, too?  It makes me reflective, and I gain new understanding from that process.

Just look at the cover of her book...ah, it makes me smile and feel all peaceful inside all at the same time.

1 comment:

Nezzy said...

Oh darlin' your gonna love One Thousand Gifts...it was a great book.

Don't ya just wanna melt into that cover???

God bless ya and have yourself a fantastic week sweetie!!! :o)