Wednesday, August 1, 2012

food I'd rather not think about

So, I get this phone call from my honey yesterday at work. He says, “I hope you don’t get sick.” Long silence.

I’m like, “What do you mean?”

He says, “You know how I made homemade Vietnamese egg rolls last night?

I go, “Yeah…”

He says, “Well, I was cleaning out the oil from the deep fryer because we’ve used it a couple times, and I couldn’t see down into the bottom. But when I dumped the last bit of it out, there was a deep fried MOUSE in the bottom!”

Even longer silence. Mentally I’m gagging. Eeww! Gak! Wishing I could throw up but I can’t.

I said, “I could have gone my whole entire life without hearing that!”

I don’t know if it got in there before or after he cooked the egg rolls, or even how it got in there, unless it crawled in after he cooked when it was sitting on the counter cooling, and I’m sure it just drowned and couldn’t get out. The hot oil could have cooked it. But the oil did pop a little bit when we were heating it up to cook the egg rolls, which was weird because it usually doesn’t pop until you put something in it.

I think I’ve had enough fried food for a good long while.

No comments: