Friday, October 12, 2012

sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Does anyone remember that song Signs, by the Five Man Electrical Band? 

That is what was going through my head when I got out of my sign language class last night.  Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...I'm starting to think about sign language all day long, translating sentences into ASL grammar in my head, and my hands just do the signs all on their own when I know them.  It's pretty cool.

I can't wait until I know it really well.  I want to converse with my g-babyboy who is hard of hearing.  He's learning sign in school, so he'll be way ahead of me, I'm sure.  It's okay...he can laugh at me.  As long as he talks to me, too.  I'm so excited to surprise him with it.  There it goes again...my fingers wanted to bust out with the "excited" and the "surprise" "him" signs.  I know these are only baby steps, and I'm sure it looks pretty unpolished to anyone who signs on a daily basis.  But that's okay.  Everyone has to be new at something at one point.

Why aren't we comfortable with being new at things when we get older?  When we're kids we just have fun with it.  Figure it out like a puzzle.  Like today when kids learn new video games, it's almost like they've always known how to play them, and if you're not a video game fan, it can be so confusing.  But I think video games are like other software programs.  Some skills and techniques carry over from one to the next, and if you try something that works in another game, you could get lucky and have it work in the new game.  

A lot of sign language seems to be intuitive, and you kind of act out the word or description as well.  The ones that are hard to remember are the ones that look alike.  "Brother" and "confident" look alike to me still.  Those kinds of words are the ones I have to focus on.  And the question words...I still get those confused sometimes.  The who, what, where, why and how signs...just have to keep practicing.  Practice makes perfect.  (Thanks, mom.  I hear ya still!)

But just for fun, from way way back, I wanted to post the Signs song, too, if you haven't heard it yet.  I know, sounds crazy, but maybe there's a good reason.  (Like maybe because you're not old?  Ha!)

Enjoy the signs.

1 comment:

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

...takin' up the scenery and breakin' my mind! Woohoo...oh, those college days!

Yep, I took a sign language class 'bout eight years ago. I feared that we would get a deaf child who we could not communicate with in our Special Ed. class. I use sign with my Kid's Church today. They respond so well to the sign and I don't have to say a word.

God bless ya and have a terrific day!!!

(BTW: I met my sign teacher goin' in to the cafeteria and tried to sign I'm hungry. I was really hungry so I ran my hand up and down multiple times, Sigh Teacher cracked up...I obviously told her I was horny...Heeehehehehee!) I thought you'd appreciate that! :o)